Programme Information

Masters Programme “Social Economy and Labour”

Objective

The Masters programme will enable participants to assist workers and their organizations to challenge the current global context and engage more effectively in social dialogue, public debate and policy implementation. This includes economic development, macroeconomics, employment creation, strategies of multinational companies, inequality, poverty, social structure, gender equality, workers' rights, social justice, labour relations, labour regulation and trade unionism perspectives; all of which are key to enhance labour movement capacities.

Location, Language and Duration

The Masters Programme is offered by the UNICAMP, Institute of Economics, in the city of Campinas, São Paulo State, Brazil. The course starts in March and the language is English. This is a 14 months programme and students will be required to attend the courses from March until December and defend their master thesis by April of the next year.

Students

The expected number of foreign students is 6 to 10 with the rest of the class made up of Brazilian students and students already taking GLU Masters courses in Germany, South Africa or India. Brazilian students accepted into the programme will be encouraged to do their internship abroad.

Students Support

All students are required to contribute a fee of € 1.500 to the Global Labour University (GLU) which will be responsible for flights and other expenses. The GLU and its Brazilian partners will provide scholarships compatible with a regular (Brazilian) master scholarship (about R$1500,00), per month for students to cover housing, food and other expenses. Foreign students will have access to the state public health system which covers regular medical consultations and emergency cases. The additional cost of internships should be covered by one extra scholarship, by a special grant or by the host institutions. UNICAMP provides library facilities, study rooms and access to computers, internet and databases. A local restaurant with subsidized prices is also available on campus.