Social Economy and Labour

The University of Campinas (UNICAMP)

The University of Campinas was established in 1966, as a public university funded by the State of São Paulo, Brazil. 

Our mission is to provide education and training which qualifies our students to play a key role in the process of social development. UNICAMP seeks to contribute to the solution of social problems, through education and research, as well as through services to the community at large. 

A healthy balance between research and teaching, as well as between pure and applied science, has made UNICAMP one of the most distinguished Brazilian academic institutions. We have been receiving undergraduate and graduate students from all over Brazil and also international students. 

If the history of the Brazilian university is recent, that of the State University of Campinas (UNICAMP) is even more so. UNICAMP had its campus officially inaugurated on October 5th 1966, but only a few years later it was already recognized as one of the leading Brazilian and Latin American institutions of higher education, conducting advanced research and tackling important social issues. Today, UNICAMP can be considered a fully consolidated university. 

15% of total scientific production in Brazil and approximately 10% of graduate courses is concentrated at UNICAMP. Its financial resources are obtained mainly from the state government but funding is also provided by national and international research funding agencies. Students do not pay tuition fees as the University is financed by state funds. However, there are fees and nominal costs for issuing certain documents and for some continuing education programmes or other special courses.