Programme Structure

The Global Labour University (GLU) offers unionists and labour activists formal postgraduate Honours and Masters degree qualifications at Wits University in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is a fulltime coursework and research study programme located in the School of Social Sciences. Please note any students who plan to continue working during their studies must register for part-time studies. Applications for all programmes must be completed ONLINE.

HONOURS PROGRAMME (Labour Policy and Globalisation)

Honours Programme Structure

Students must complete five courses to qualify with Bachelor of Arts, with Honours in the field of Labour, Policy & Globalisation.

Three courses are compulsory with an additional two elective courses.

Full-time Structure:

• Three courses in the first semester
  • Two courses in the second semester

Part-time Structure:

• Two courses in the first semester of the first year
  • One course in the second semester of the first year
  • One course in the first semester of the second year
  • One course in the second semester of the second year

Alternatively, the student may elect to move the elective courses around. The compulsory courses are taken in the first year.

Application Details

Please see Application page for further details. The application period runs from 01 June - 31 August each year.

MASTERS PROGRAMME (Labour Policy and Globalisation)

Masters Programme Structure

Students must complete three courses and a research report to qualify with Master of Arts in the field of Labour, Policy & Globalisation. The courses are compulsory.

Full-time Structure:

• Three courses
  • One Research Report

For students based in Gauteng (a province in South Africa) and continuing to work, full-time studies are only available to you with strong motivation.

Should you wish to take part-time studies, PLEASE NOTE that you are required to take the Advanced Research Methods course in the first year and at least one other course. We also highly recommend that you take all three courses in the first year so that you can spend the second year focusing on the Research Report.

Application Details